comment 1

THE AYVALIK MOSAIC – Brasilia Mosaic Moments Studio 6th week

I am writing this blog at 2 am at Sao Paolo airport waiting for my flight to Istanbul depart in  2 hours. The mosaic parts are in my two suitcases which are weighing  almost 50kg. Luckily I did not have to pay excess luggage . The check in personnel had a good day.

Its nice to stay awake at such odd hours because I really want to tell  you about this exciting last week.

On Tuesday I set the last stone. Already when finishing the last figure I felt a slight feeling of procrastination. As much as I do want this project to come to completion as much I dread to let it go. Its my life since almost a year.

And I also grouted the wave mosaic with dark grey grout. I actually only had light grey so I mixed some black pigment in it.  I hope it will not harm the quality of the tile grout.

IMG_6308 IMG_6310

On Wednesday my daughter Louise helped me to tidy up the studio and arrange the mosaics for the show and opening of the studio on Friday.

IMG_6433 I decided to show the parts of the AYVALIK MOSAIC to the public for one afternoon. Whilst speaking to people in Brasilia I sensed that there was an interest in the techniques and art of roman mosaics, so I decided to arrange an open house to start making publicity for my work and studio and to give interested people the chance to see and touch a roman style mosaic.

It was an overwhelming success!IMG_6437

The whole 6 hours we had constantly people in the studio and not only one or two. No! often up to ten people looked, touched and asked so many questions that I had a hard time giving attention and responding to all often in 3 languages at the same time. My phantastic daughter was very confident in talking to the visitors as an expert in roman mosaics although she just started to show an interest in this area. I was impressed!

I would never have thought that this topic and style meets so much interest in Brasil.


Saturday the fishes had another photo shoot in the beautiful light of the tropical sun in our garden


off to the photo shoot

before they were wrapped with styrofoam and bubble wrap and packed tightly with my warm cardigans and down jackets into 2 suitcases. Now they are hopefully safe in the belly of the boing 737 and I will lift them off the belt in Istanbul in 14 hours.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *